Call for expression of interest for the establishment of the Distributed System of Scientific Collections (DiSSCo) Scientific Advisory Board (SAB)
DiSSCo is a new pan-European Research Infrastructure of 21 European countries with a vision to position European natural science collections at the centre of data-driven excellence and innovation across biological and geological diversity-related scientific disciplines.
The objective of this call for expression of interest is to establish the membership of the Scientific Advisory Board (SAB). The SAB mission is to provide expert consultation services in all matters related to the scientific objectives of the DiSSCo Research Infrastructure.
The main tasks of the SAB members include:
- Understand and analyse relevant scientific challenges and translate them into research infrastructure needs at European and global scale;
- Work closely together with science users across scientific disciplines to understand and describe current and future data and infrastructure service requirements;
- Define metrics for assessing the overall performance of the Research Infrastructure in relation to its digital agenda and expected impact across fields of science;
- Provide expert advice on the needs to enhance digital capacity across DiSSCo users and partner facilities;
- Draft annual science reports and provide input to the development of the mid- and long-term science strategy of DiSSCo;
- Provide ad hoc expert advice on requests from the DiSSCo governance bodies and act as external advisory boards to DiSSCo-linked projects;
- Represent DiSSCo in external meetings, presenting the scientific vision, mission and progress of the infrastructure;
- Evaluate internal project proposals and review key documents.
Individuals interested in submitting their expression of interest are kindly invited to consult the Terms of Reference and send the following documents (through the dedicated form):
- Brief CV (no more than 2 pages);
- A statement providing their perspective on the scientific mission and value of DiSSCo RI (no more than 1 page);
- Letter of motivation explaining how their experience and knowledge can contribute to the work of SAB (no more than 1 page).
Non-Europeans, early career investigators, representatives from non-scientific societal domains (such as science-policy bodies and the industry) are also invited to apply.
Following an evaluation by the DiSSCo Coordination and Support Office, a list of shortlisted applicants will be put forward for approval by the DiSSCo General Assembly in Q4 of 2019. Evaluations will be done based on the criteria described in the SAB ToR document and on balancing in terms of gender, geographical spread and levels of seniority. The selection panel will focus on ensuring diversity across all the above dimensions.
The SAB is expected to commence activities the latest in January 2020.
Expressions of interest should be submitted through the dedicated form (https://dissco.eu/content/scientific-advisory-board-call-expression-interest) no later than 16 September 2019 15.00 UTC