Call for expression of interest for the establishment of the
Distributed System of Scientific Collections Technical Advisory Board (TAB)
DiSSCo is a new pan-European Research Infrastructure of 21 European countries with a vision to position European natural science collections at the centre of data-driven excellence and innovation across biological and geological diversity-related scientific disciplines.
The objective of this call for expression of interest is to establish the membership of the Technical Advisory Board (TAB). The TAB mission is to provide expert consultation services in all areas related to the technical sphere of operation of DiSSCo.
The main tasks of the TAB members include:
- Provide recommendations on how technical and technological current developments contribute to scientific priorities and users’ needs regarding services and the technical development roadmap and how to facilitate its implementation in DiSSCo;
- Provide expert advice to the DiSSCo governance and management bodies;
- Propose metrics for measuring the performance of the technical teams across the DiSSCo projects;
- Monitor and report on the technical preparation and implementation progress of DiSSCo and specifically in relation to the ongoing portfolio of DiSSCo-linked projects;
- Draft annual reports on the accounts of technical developments and future technical roadmap and provide advice on the technical priorities of new projects and project proposals;
- Provide ad-hoc expert advice on requests from the DiSSCo governance bodies and act as external advisory boards to DiSSCo-linked projects;
- Represent DiSSCo in external meetings, presenting the technical vision, mission and progress of the infrastructure.
Individuals interested in submitting their expression of interest are kindly invited to consult the Terms of Reference (ToR) and send the following documents (through the dedicated form):
- Brief CV (no more than 2 pages);
- Letter of motivation explaining how their experience and knowledge can contribute to the work of TAB (no more than 1 page)
- Statement with perspective on the technical challenges and opportunities for DiSSCo (no more than 1 page).
Non-Europeans and early career investigators are also invited to apply.
Following an evaluation by the DiSSCo Coordination and Support Office, a list of shortlisted applicants will be put forward for approval by the DiSSCo General Assembly in Q4 of 2019. Evaluations will be done based on the criteria described in the TAB ToR document and on balancing in terms of gender, geographical spread and levels of seniority. The selection panel will focus on ensuring diversity across all the above dimensions.
The TAB is expected to commence activities the latest in January 2020.
Expressions of interest should be submitted through the dedicated form (https://dissco.eu/content/technical-advisory-board-call-expression-interest) no later than 16 September 2019 15.00 UTC.